Friday, June 09, 2006

Finds in Valle

What a great day we had in Valle de Angeles. It didn't start out so good with a broken bus. Alan called Jason early yesterday morning to ask him to bring him the keys to the bus. It seems he had left early that morning to bring the mechanic to the bus and had forgotten the keys. The trip to San Buenaventura (where the bus was) is a 45 minute drive. Jason drove him the keys and supposedly they had the problem fixed. Well, when they go the keys and took it for a test drive the other brake line burst. They had only brought one extra brake line with them so they had to go to another town 15 minutes away and look in their junk yard for one off of a junked vehicle. They found one and got it replaced, but had it put on wrong. Finally they called it quits and rented a van. We took the 15 passenger van and two trucks and fit everyone. We had a great time. These are some things that we were able to get for our display. The dresses are authentic Honduran dresses for Barbies.
The group is from a Baptist Church in Oxford, Alabama. I forgot the name of the church as it was only told to me once at the beginning of the week. They had 18 teens and adults. They were such a blessing. We only got to be with them for a few days, but it was as if God sent them to us just to encourage us. Audrey developed a special friendship with Paige. Paige's son is about to be married and she told me that this time was just making her long that much more for grandchildren.
Jordan started running a fever when we were in Valle de Angeles so he stayed with Daddy in the van and slept while Mommy, Audrey, Joey, and the group shopped. Daddy did not seem to mind either.
After shopping we went to El Patio a very good restaurant here. El Patio is an outdoor restaurant that is covered by a metal roof and has pillars for walls. It is very typical. The lights that they do have are very dim to make it seem like it was before there was electricity. It was so much fun. Everyone loved it. We also found out that you can buy paintings there. Elaine and Jeff Smith, the youth pastor and his wife, bought a gorgeous painting for around $50. After they sold to them the young men trying to sell them when and got more. They brought back one gorgeous one of an old pueblo seen through a door. They started the price for that at $80, but when no one had it they ended up selling it to one of ladies of the group named Kim for $30. I was in love with that painting, but Jason had just borrowed all of my money to exchange for dollars with Bro. Jeff Smith. I am so glad that Kim was able to get the painting for such a good price. I now know what I want and where I will get it when we come back here. Bro Alan Jackson hired a mariachi band to sing a few songs for the group and it was so much fun. Everyone was clapping with them and then they saw that Joey was dancing by stomping his feet in time and clapping his hands. Everyone just about lost it then. It was so cute. We all had a really great time and were tired, but sad to see it end.
Today most of the group left. Three were left behind as one of the young teenage girls passport and ticket were stolen just before she boarded. We all went to Pizza Hut for lunch while we were waiting for the plane as Pizza Hut is just across the street from the airport. It was while she was there that it was stolen. Thankfully her mom came with her to Honduras as she would not be allowed to fly international by herself.
Tonight we went out with them and the Jacksons for Chinese food. While we were there Jason lost my retainer. I had put it in his pocket as I forgot to take it out before we left the house and I did not have any pockets in my clothes. I am just sick over it. I will have to see if I can reach of my orthodontist tomorrow by her cell phone. It will cost me almost $100 to have a new retainer made if she can do it as she is leaving on vacation next week. If not, I will have to try to find a orthodontist in the states to make me a new one. That should be fun to try and find. I am still holding out hope that the Jackson's might find it at their house.

No comments:

Post a Comment