Friday, June 16, 2006

Being a Blessing

Isn't it great when you can be a blessing to someone. Yesterday we got such an opportunity. Iris, the wife and mother of the family with whom Jason lived when he came to Honduras in 1993, came over to return a few things. Iris' husband, Pastor Hector Medina, died of stomach cancer about 10 years ago. Iris now is a faithful worker in the church where he pastored for so many years. She is a wonderful person. She is a single mom to three kids and a grandmother to one. She speaks English and tutored me in my spanish when we first came.

A year ago Iris got some bad news. Her daughter, then 17, was pregnant. It was a hard time for the whole family especially Iris because as a single mother you can only be with your kids for so many hours in the day. She still had to work and take care of them. There was a lot of criticism for her, but Praise the Lord, her daughter was very repentant and God has used this bad situation to build them closer to him as a family.

Yesterday they all came over to pick up a walker I was going to give them. While they were here I felt like I should give them some food. I ended up giving them three bags of food. I didn't think very much of it, but she started to cry and told me that I didn't know how much that meant to her. She said that she had no food in the house. I can tell you I got a bigger blessing out of that than she did. God is so good to give us the blessing of being a blessing.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Praise the Lord! What a wonderful story!! It is so wonderful to be a blessing to someone else!! I'm so glad that God gave you that opportunity! I'm excited to hear how he will bless you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for your sensitivity to HIS leading! How wonderful that you were able to see God's hand in that situation right away!
    --Hope to hear from you when you're in our neighborhood! :)

    ReplyDelete