Monday, June 05, 2006

Baptism Sunday

Yesterday we had a great blessing to be able to have a joint baptismal service with the people from Iglesia Bautista Betel in San Buenaventura. The Alan Jackson family are the missionaries who started and are pastoring that church. They brought their church and a group of 18 teens and workers from a church in Alabama who are visiting them. We brought three truckloads of people from Ojojona. Our normal baptism site was overflowing because of our recent rains. We looked for a new site and found one in a park in nearby Santa Ana. They let us come in free and baptize in the river, but when the kids played on the toys they charged us 15 Lempira (75 cents). Thankfully none of our kids tried to play as we haven't been to the bank yet this month and did not have any cash on hand.
We were able to see Esperanza baptised and with her a couple named Rueben and Xiomara. Junior, the little boy of Rueben and Xiomara, cried so hard when his mom got baptized. He was just yelling "mommy, mommy, mommy" and tears were running down his face. He was sitting with all his aunts and uncles, but he still was very concerned about his mom. It was very cute to see.
Esperanza was very nervous about getting baptized because she didn't have a skirt to wear. I knew she always wore pants, but I didn't know she didn't own a skirt. I wish I could give her one of mine, but there is no way she would fit it. She is a lot smaller than me.
Today is going to be very full. We have to go to the bank and then the store. Tonight I get to make dinner for the group that is staying with Alan and Becky. There will be 29 of us and I am going to make a big pot of Spaghetti. I am trying to use up all of the food in my freezer before we leave in 15 days. Today I must also finish the inventory of our house for the school. It makes me think of the song "So Little Time, And So Much To Do".

2 comments:

  1. What a blessed Sunday you had! I hope you are feeling great. How exciting that Esperanza got baptized! How sweet that she was nervous because she didn't have a skirt. :) Could you have loaned one of your elastic waisted ones? I've had to do that before, they seem to stay on the littler people. :) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the Lord for a great baptismal service! What a blessing to be able to see the fruits of your labors and prayers with Esperanza! God is so good.

    ReplyDelete