Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Sunday School

This Sunday I was expecting to have a low attendance in the Sunday school. As this is what normally happens after a big day. We normally have around 35 in attendance and last week we had 62. I did prepare for 60 kids though just to be on the safe side.

It had been raining so much this past week that I was worried about having Sunday School in our classroom. To be able to breathe in our classroom, with more than 10 kids in there, you have to open both doors which lets in all the rain. I had been praying for no rain, but I was not to optimistic as we had just experienced a week of hard rain and it was cloudy. We started the Sunday school hour with only about 20 kids which was what I was expecting. We had borrowed chairs from the adults just in case. But after 5 minutes I took those chairs back. When I got back from returning the chairs the kids started coming. The only problem is that they kept on coming.

For the next 5 minutes the kids didn't stop. We ended up having 45 kids in attendance. I had kids sitting at my feet. We had kids everywhere. I stepped on one little girls foor while trying to pass out colors and Nelly (one of my helpers) fell over a little boy and hurt her wrist. Thankfully all of the kids were very well behaved. We had four new kids, but they followed the example of the kids that normally came and sat still and listened to the story.

The skies were dark and heavy, but didn't open up during class. After I taught the lesson and the kids colored, I dismissed early and told them to run home. It was so dark outside that I knew it would start pouring soon. Not more than 10 minutes after I dismissed the skies opened and it started to pour. It was raining so hard that the church yard was one big pool of water and the path to the church was a river. I am thankful that most of the kids were home by that time.

On the way home I had to pass Rio Grande (big river) which is not very big usually. It was so big that is was taking over entire valleys. I took a picture of it as it runs by our old house. It is normally only 1/4 of this size in the picture. It was up to the bridge in this picture.

Please pray with us as we try and make adjustments to the Sunday School department. For the present time we are changing the hour we start and using the church auditorium. We are also in the process of either buiding a new/bigger classroom or moving the church to a new property. We looked at a piece of land with a house on it that is closer to town and on the main road. Please pray with us as we follow the Lord's leading in this matter.

No comments:

Post a Comment