Friday, March 31, 2006

Hepatitis A

Did you know that the beginning symptoms of hepatitis A and Dengue fever are very similar. I was diagnosed with dengue fever on Monday. The symptoms grew worse and I was admitted in the local hospital. While I was in the hospital they did more extensive blood tests on me. The end result was a very clear view of my illness, Hepatitis A. It was great to finally know what the problem was, but not so great to hear that there is not a medicine I could take to cure this. After two days in the hospital, I was more than ready to come home. I did not realize, however, that the medicines they were giving me for nausea were working quite well. I was prescribed the pill form on checkout; while I "enjoy" the same "buzzed" feeling (yes, I am being sarcastic) it does not seem to do anything for the pain. So now I am on bed rest until I am feeling better.

The elevated numbers from my tests were over 1500. The normal number is 41. This number has something to do with the liver, but as the explanation was in Spanish and I was only told the technical name once, I have forgotten the name. After two days in the hospital, my levels were down to just over 900. As Hep A is a virus that is self-immunizing, I will never have to worry about getting it again. I will just have to put up with the pain associated with it until I have recovered. The recovery can take two to six weeks. Since I have had this for a week now, we hopefully are halfway through the battle. I have learned never to take health for granted. Please continue to pray that I will make a speedy recovery. Please also continue to pray for Jason as he is now not only Dad, but also Mom, Cook, Housekeeper, Nurse, Blogg typer, ect....

No comments:

Post a Comment