Friday, February 08, 2008

What was I thinking?

Why, when I have not had good luck with perms done in Honduras did I optimistically get another one done today. I had a picture of myself a few years back with a haircut that I really liked and I thought that I would see if I would have any luck duplicating it. It is a shorter cut (layered bob). Because my hair is so thin and fine I need a perm for this particular cut. I had been to this shop before with a friend and they did a great job. I thought I would try this salon as it was different from where I had it done the first time. I decided to make sure and mention to them that they don't wash my hair right after they perm it (that is what happened last time).
I had just had my hair washed and was settling in with my MP3 player and a game on my cell phone to start the perm. I wasn't paying close attention to what the beautician was doing. I had thought that there aren't to many ways to mess up putting in curlers. After a few minutes of intense hair pulling I looked up to see what she was doing. I was surprised to see her rolling my hair with straws and then tying the ends to keep them down. I thought it was weird, but as I know how Hondurans do things as times I just thought that maybe they didn't have any curlers. When they were about 10 straws from having my hair totally rolled the lady explained to her helper that she didn't use rollers becuase they didn't make the curls tight enough. Needless to say my heart stopped on that declaration.
The rest of the perm went smoothly. At the end, as they were unrolling all of the straws, all of the ladies that worked there kept exclaiming about how curly my hair was. When I saw myself in the mirror I almost cringed. I looked like I stuck my finger in a light socket. The underside of my hair is very curly with thin curls (not my best look). The hair on the top of my head, though, has always had a tendancy to frizz and boy did it ever. To say that I look like a poodle is an insult to the poodle. Thankfully, I plan to go in again in three days time to get it cut (they didn't do it today, they said that had to wait three days before they could comb it) and then I can start enjoying this perm. I don't even want to go out of the house. It is that bad.

1 comment:

  1. What Cassy? No picture to go along with this post??!! :)
    I've had a bad hair experience that started with a picture that I handed the stylist...I've never done it since.
    I know your pain.
    Maybe someone who knows about hair can give you some advice about what to do to control it?? The solution for mine was letting it grow out for about 6 months. so sad.

    ReplyDelete